Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dog is my co-pilot

Today I saw a bumper sticker that said "Dog is my co-pilot" Now, I know what this is referencing, but the thought of those old ladies who let their dogs ride in their laps and look out the window while they're driving instantly came to mind. However after a few chuckles I got back to the seriousness of the issue. This is, of course, a direct play on the "God is my co-pilot" bumper sticker, which in itself is ridiculous. So despite the fact that that person is just an all out weirdo with an anti-religious sense of humor, they made a very good point in calling out the stupidity of having God as your "co-pilot." When I think of co-pilot I think of "Goose" from Top Gun. Despite being my favorite character in that movie, and tearing up everytime when that fateful scene comes up, I began to think about all the trouble Goose got into because of Maverick. Goose wasn't in control; Goose was a helper, a part of a 50-50 team. If you think that you and God are a team living the Christian life together and you both help each other, I would encourage you to get some facts and priorities straight. I think 1st Chronicles 13:9-10 sums things up. The background is this: David went out to reclaim the Ark of the Covenant that wasn't being used during the reign of Saul and bring it back to Jerusalem. They had made a "special cart" for it to be paraded around on instead of the way the LORD had instructed it to be carried (with poles). Verse 9 says this:
When they came to the threshing floor of Kidon, Uzzah reached out his hand to steady the ark, because the oxen stumbled. The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah, and he struck him down because he had put his hand on the Ark. So he died there before God.
Pretty intense huh? So here's what I have to say to that person with the bumper sticker. "If Dog is your co-pilot I hope to goodness you are in the backseat or tied up in the trunk because life ain't worth living unless God is the pilot."
And to myself, I find I pray everyday that He would become more, and I would become less. That I would allow Him to have complete control and be the "Perfect Pilot" after all He has been known from the oldest of times as: Jehovah Pilotrah : God is my pilot. (rough translation)

Post Script: Or that person could have just really loved her dog, that remains to be determined. I guess we'll never know.

No comments: