Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I like songs about drifters books about the same.

It is said, by those who travel, that riding the rails is the last great American Adventure. So I thought I would take a quick moment to talk about songs and books about drifters, and travelers.
Of course the cult classic iconic book of:
"On the Road - Jack Kerouac"
Also a collection of his other "beat generation" books such as Big Sur, and Dharma Bums
Also for a more informative "guide" to train hopping and seeing the world through the eyes of industry check out:
"Hopping Freight Trains in America - by Duffy Littlejohn."
I can remember reading this book out loud to anyone who would listen all the way from Chapel Hill to Wilmington. Great Memories!
Also there are the writings of the most famous Hobo of all time A-No. 1. His writings include "Hobo Campfire Tales" and "the Life and Adventures of A-no 1."
There was also a movie about his called "Emperor of the North Pole"
Songs about Hobos include:
Gonna Ride a Train - J.B. Beverly & The wayward Drifters
Hobo Song - John Prine
Ramblin' Man - Hank Williams
I Ain't Got No Home - Woody Guthrie
Can't You See - The Marshall Tucker Band

Last night I did an interview for church about the up and coming third space group young adult ministry St. Mark's is showing. I began to think ( and hope ) that the camera "put on 10 pounds." I was thinking that would be a GREAT thing, because since I'm watching what I eat and excercising if I saw myself 10 pounds heavier then I would instantly feel good about myself! Twisted logic huh?
Tonight I am hosting "The Busy World" at my house. They are a band that is awesome and I have the pleasure of playing accordion for them. We are going to be listening to our new album and working on some final mixing! Woo Hoo! and it's a potluck! that means free fooooood.

Also something that is awesome - Tamara Mathew has the same birthday as Tupac. ( and GERONIMO!) how cool is that!?

No comments: